Mercury Amalgsm Fillings
Atlanta’s Channel 2 Action News reported on 5-18-15 on the possible harmful effects of mercury fillings.
The report featured Metro Atlanta area dentists who are speaking out against mercury-based fillings, as well as two patients who have suffered ill effects. Memory issues, headaches, extensive skin rashes, heart issues, digestive problems and blood pressure fluctuations were all cited as effects of long-term exposure to mercury through dental fillings.
The controversy stems from the fact that both the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and the American Dental Association (ADA) disagree. The FDA took five years to respond to a petition to ban mercury from dental practice that they denied in January, though they say they are continuing to study the issue and will take action as warranted. The ADA not only declares mercury fillings safe and effective, but they also advise dental professionals that to remove mercury fillings from patients’ mouths is “improper and unethical” unless the patient is allergic to mercury. They declined to be interviewed on camera.
The irony is that no one denies that mercury itself is toxic. The thinking is that when it is mixed with metals (such as silver, tin, zinc and copper), the resulting alloy is safe. After all, dentists used silver fillings for more than 100 years to preserve hundreds of millions of decayed teeth. Yet the Environmental Protection Agency, which estimates that half the mercury coming into wastewater treatment facilities is coming from dental offices, is considering revising the rules for handling the rinse water when adding or removing mercury from a patient’s dental work.
One of the dentists, Gwinnett County’s Ronald Dresser, stated: “Volumes of science say that mercury’s a poison, and it should not be used,” Dressler said. “There are no studies demonstrating the safety of dental mercury amalgam.”
Though not referenced in yesterday’s report, there are other well-documented claims that mercury-based fillings are responsible for causing a number of diseases, including autism, Alzheimer’s disease, and multiple sclerosis – all diseases with unclear causes.
So one is left to consider the evidence and decide: Should your silver amalgam fillings stay, or should they go? We at Verde Point Dentistry feel that there are healthier materials with less controversial safety records and do not use amalgams in our office for new fillings. Why risk the safety of the patients and the staff, as well? If you determine that the best course of action for you and your family members is to eliminate the possibility of mercury poisoning by removing those fillings, contact our office for an appointment, and we will be happy to assist you.
View Channel 2’s news report here: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/2-investigates-are-fillings-your-mouth-toxic/nmJXk/